Painting / Decorating Pottery (Greenware)
How it Works
1. Choose a ceramic shape you like! We have ready made (greeware and bisque fired) shapes already prepared for you to choose from - or - if you want a specific shape or set (tea / sake sets), please give our staff advanced notice and we will try our best to provide the shape you specify.
2. Decide what you would like to paint. Don’t worry if you don’t happen to have an idea— we have lots of stencils and several cataloges full of patterns waiting for you. Keep your eyes open! If you see a pretty scarf or wrapping paper, a nice pattern in a book or the internet, print it out or photocopy it and bring it with you!
3. You can easily copy the pattern onto the ceramic form you choose with a pencil or ceramic indigo. The lines marked by the pencil or the indigo disappear during the firing process.
4. When you are ready with the outline you can then choose from many colors and surfaces. We have glazes that are of a single color, dotted and we also have matte glazes. At Spin and Gogh, we shall show you how to use them all. All the glazes are pale and dull before firing, but after the process they will become bright and colorful. The special thing about our paints is that they are water- based so they do not stain, but they are long-lasting after firing. If you make a mistake, spilled paint on the table or on your clothes, don’t worry, just take a wet sponge and wipe it off. We also provide you with aprons to protect your clothes.
5. After this, all you need to do is start creating. We are always there to help you and to answer your questions. To make the atmosphere even more pleasant we can offer you a variety of drink (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) as well as light snacks.
6. When you are finished with your creation, you need to leave it at Spin and Gogh in order to be fired (typically 2-3 days). The ceramics are fired at 1,000 degrees celcius, which enables the ceramics you paint to be of store quality— in other words durable and resistant to dishwashing, scraping, microwave as well as ice-cold and burning-hot liquids. They will just be like any other dish you purchase in a store with the added benefit of being your own creation to enjoy and show to your friends and family.
7. When you come back to pick up your work you’ll get bright pieces of ceramics which all bare the mark of your own hand. You can keep them for everyday use or even give them away as a gift—success is guaranteed! If you would like to plan ahead, browse our website! Different shapes and ceramics painted by our other customers can be found here to give you some ideas. Also, if you want to stop into the shop before you begin, we always have a wide variety of pieces displayed to inspire you created by our staff and customers.
So, Make Something Beautiful Today!